Thursday, February 7, 2013

In Memory of our sweet little feathered friend "Bird"


Today our dear friend "Bird" passed on. It was sudden and we were right there as it happened. Most likely it was a heart attack. We miss him so so much already. His beautiful singing filled our days. We work from home and he was such a big part of our daily routine. He chirped when we opened doors, when we took the dogs outside he'd see us out the window and yell as loud as he could so that we'd hear him inside, when we used the microwave he had something to say, when we listened to music. In the morning Aaron would come downstairs first and Bird would be silent...he'd wait til we were both on the couch and then he'd start singing to start the day. His absence is truly palpable. 
We'll miss giving him his spray of millet...he'd get so excited as he saw us open the bag. And the little nibbles he gave to the tip of Aaron's nose...and the way he'd slide down the rungs of his cage like they were fireman's poles. 
He was present for every part of our day. Even when he'd chirp loudly and relentlessly it was never ever anything close to a nuisance...he'd be screaming his head off to the point where we could barely continue our conversation and we'd just smile and laugh and say "Bird...you're crazy!" 




This commercial was his favorite! Just a few minutes ago it came on the television and it was the first time ever that we didn't hear bird chirping at the end of the jingle. It was a little hard to handle. We loved that he had his "thing"...something about the Empire Carpet jingle thrilled the little guy.




And this song...oh, jeez we just listened to this and we couldn't hold back the tears. Every time the whistling part came it was Bird's time to shine. 

We'll miss the beautiful little guy. He was such a gift to us and I hope he knew it. There's no way that we ever could've reciprocated the magic and sunshine he brought to us. I seriously don't know how to explain it...he grounded us and kept things light when they could've been very heavy. Such a beautiful little guy. 

Bird, thank you for blessing us with your presence and your song.

22 comments:

  1. I am so sorry too hear about Bird! I have a bird called Josje. I love him to bits too!
    Keep your head up, keep your heart strong.

    xx Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww I had a bird when I was little and was thinking of getting another one. Sorry for your loss.

    Vintagehoneybee.blogspot. com

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww my heart breaks for you guys. i left you some love on facebook but wanted to jump over here & read what you wrote.
    lots of love you way sweet friend
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jenny and Aaron, I am so sorry for your loss. Sending you hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm sorry you lost your sweet birdie! I had one when I was a teen. He was so fun and silly and brought lots of joy to our family! One night the back door was not shut well (it was a tricky door) and our kitty got it and knocked the cage around giving our poor birdie a heart attack or stroke or something. We had to have him put to sleep. :( So I understand how you are feeling.
    Michelle xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cockatiels are one of the greatest little Aussie birds, I had mine for 19 years and you explained them so well. Very very clever and affectionate. Sending a big hug to both of you. x Luna

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry!!! He seems like he was such a lovely bird!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awe :'( in tears right now. I'm so sorry bird is gone. Life has just been brutal for you guys lately. I'm praying for you and sending you both love and healing. Spring will be here soon and hopefully with it some calmer days. ♥♡

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hun!! I'm so sorry to learn about Bird :( Those loving little creatures take up big spaces in our hearts and lives. There is no doubt in my mind that he knew how special and loved he was at home.

    My thoughts are with you and Aaron during this sad time...

    ReplyDelete
  11. aww.. that is so sad. Ive had a bunch of birds ranging from a few parakeets, a lovebird, a cockatiel (that I adored!) a conure of some sort and now an african grey.. (that at this moment is being very annoying!) It is very sad to lose any pet. But your right, a bird somehow brings a little sunshine, they are happy, playful and funny.
    sending my sympathy and big hugs your way!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is so hard losing a member of the family. So sorry for your loss. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry to hear about your dear Bird - sending sympathies and love from Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I'm so sorry to hear this! Hope you are okay x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Jenny! Gahhh, what a time of it you guys have had lately. I'm so sorry. Bird sounds like a special soul. And I love that his name is Bird. ♥ :)

    Love and Sympathy,

    Val

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of Bird. Years ago I had a bird named Bird too. He also died suddenly and unexpectedly. I guess he was my one and only bird because I've never gotten another one. I understand your grief and send hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I'm so sad to hear about Bird. It sounds like he was a great little fella.

    Becky
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry for your loss. Sending you sympathy and tons of hugs xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so sorry to hear about Birds passing, it must have been dreadful to be right there, and yet best for him too to know he was with you. I'm reading your post and weeping all over my computer. I have a bunch of dogs, so I know how it is to love someone other than a human. Big love to you all! So very sorry.....

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry for your loss. We had a Cockatiel, Fletcher who was our Blue & Gold Macaws, (Nicholas). Yes the bird had a bird. Nicholas would call Fletcher's name and Fletcher would sing back to him. They would talk back and forth. When Fletcher passed Nicholas grieved for his little friend just as we did. Luckily now Nicholas lives in a home with lots of other birds to talk to.

    So sorry again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So sad a loss that leaves a mark where you didn't realize they were carving their name in your heart...

    Thinking ig you both on this sad day...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading! We absolutely love to hear from you guys...so please leave a comment if the mood strikes you, or if you have any questions for us about a recipe, project, art supply , paint color, etc. Don't panic if your comment doesn't appear right away...we moderate all comments to avoid getting tons of spam. Thanks again!!
xo Jenny & Aaron